Atopica is definitely a miracle drug for a lot of dogs, but Tierce has been on it every day since May and he’s still scratching. His coat is looking better, but it kills me to watch him chew at himself or scratch all the time. What gives?
According to Atopica’s website, Atopica works by blocking the allergic reaction. Tierce is on the correct dosage for a dog of his weight, so what gives? Should he have a bigger dosage of Atopica? Does he need Prednisone? What about desensitization shots? I’m calling the vet today to make an appointment, hopefully for next Saturday.
On Googling “Atopica doesn’t work” and “Atopica not working”, I’m finding a few cases where Atopica doesn’t appear to work for the dogs in question. Recommendations run from changing their food to desensitization shots. Tierce was on Purina Hypoallergenic, but it doesn’t seem to be helping; I’m thinking of switching him back to raw and seeing if that helps.
It’s entirely possible that Tierce has developed a further allergy to a food ingredient or some other material in his environment. I know our home has had mould in it – it could be something like that. We’ve had all the tests done – skin plugs, scrapings and the answer returned was “Definitely an allergy to something.” Well, thanks, Mr. Scientist.