I would love to have a tame fox (to show people for once and for all that a Shiba does not look like a little fox!). BUT… if this was a kennel for a purebred breed or the latest crossbred wonder dog, would you go near it with a ten-foot-pole?
- “Official distributor” – The only official distributors that I deal with are the purveyors of outdoor clothing and dog equipment; not living, breathing animals sold as pets.
- The price tag. $5,950? Are you serious? I could get a Schutzhund III titled German Shepherd from Germany for that price. Then again, they claim that importing from Russia is a significant part of the cost of this animal.
- The caring instructions are haphazard and don’t go through anywhere near the amount of information that I would require for a dog, never mind a fox.
- There is no mention of socialization requirements
- There is no mention of training strategy
- There is no mention of the downsides of owning a fox. – EVERY pet animal has downsides.
- There is no mention of screening for proper ownership (to be fair, many reputable breeders who DO screen potential owners don’t make this explicit on their websites)
- The FAQ mentions that they are “working towards making the farm available to visitors”. Why isn’t it available now?
- They specifically mention that they don’t have references from happy fox owners who can be contacted directly. They do mention that they could contact fox owners who may respond via phone or email – but it’s funny that they already know in advance that none of their fox purchasers want to be contacted by someone looking for more information?
- There is no mention of any genetic issues that the foxes may be experiencing as a result of massive breeding for the one purpose of producing domestic behaviour.
- There is no contract or mention of a contract that stipulates certain care and humane treatment from the owner or a promise from SibFox that they will take a fox back if its owner can’t keep it, even after a period of years (the 30 day return policy doesn’t count) CORRECTION: There IS a contract which I completely missed. And, actually, it reads like a decent one: it gives SibFox first right of refusal and stipulates that the owner must give proper care to the fox ~ Thanks, Dillen, for pointing that out!
- There is no mention of pedigrees. I believe any animal deliberately bred should have a pedigree to track its genetic history and to help avoid breeding unhealthy genetic lines.
Whether a purebred or a crossbreed/mongrel that someone is trying to standardize into a breed, dogs should be bred with care for their genetic potential, their quality of life and the ability of the breeder to either care for them adequately or find them responsible owners. I don’t think foxes should be exempt from this. If they are being bred as pets, they should be bred with thought for their futures. While SibFox isn’t breeding these foxes, who is?